Hello, Good News! If you are a fan of fragrances, you might have heard of Beloved perfume, a line of products from Prince Matchabelli that was launched in 1950. Beloved perfume was a popular choice for many women who wanted to smell elegant and sophisticated, with a blend of floral, green, and animalic notes. But did you know that Beloved perfume is not the only scent that goes by that name? In fact, there are several other perfumes that share the same or similar name, but have different compositions and stories behind them.
In this article, we will explore the history and characteristics of Beloved perfume, as well as some of the alternatives and dupes that you can find in the market today. Whether you are looking for a nostalgic scent that reminds you of the past, or a modern fragrance that suits your personality and style, we have something for you. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this guide to Beloved perfume.
The Original Beloved by Prince Matchabelli
What is Beloved by Prince Matchabelli?
Beloved by Prince Matchabelli is a women’s perfume that was introduced in 1950 by the American fragrance house Prince Matchabelli. The company was founded in 1926 by Prince Georges V. Matchabelli, a Georgian nobleman who fled to the United States after the Russian Revolution. He was also a diplomat, a filmmaker, and a chess player. He created his own perfumes and packaged them in distinctive crown-shaped bottles that reflected his royal heritage.
Beloved by Prince Matchabelli was one of the most successful perfumes from the brand, along with other classics such as Wind Song, Stradivari, and Cachet. Beloved was marketed as a sophisticated and refined scent for women who wanted to express their femininity and elegance. It was also considered a romantic perfume, as its name suggested.
What does Beloved by Prince Matchabelli smell like?
Beloved by Prince Matchabelli is a green floral chypre perfume with animalic undertones. A chypre perfume is a type of fragrance that has a citrusy top note, a floral or woody heart note, and a mossy or musky base note. The word chypre comes from the French word for Cyprus, an island in the Mediterranean where this style of perfume originated.
The original formula of Beloved by Prince Matchabelli had the following notes:
- Top notes: orange oil, chamomile
- Middle notes: jasmine, rose
- Base notes: sandalwood, civet
The perfume opened with a bright and fresh citrusy aroma, followed by a rich and sweet floral bouquet of jasmine and rose. The dry down revealed a warm and sensual blend of sandalwood and civet, a musky animal secretion that added depth and character to the scent.
The Modern Beloved by Amouage
What is Beloved by Amouage?
Beloved by Amouage is a women’s perfume that was launched in 2012 by the luxury fragrance house Amouage. The company was founded in 1983 by His Highness Sayyid Hamad bin Hamoud al bu Said, a member of the Omani royal family. He wanted to revive the ancient art of Arabian perfumery and create modern scents that reflected the culture and heritage of Oman.
Beloved by Amouage was created as a tribute to the classic perfumes of the past, especially those from the 1950s and 1960s. It was inspired by the memories and emotions that perfumes can evoke in people. It was also designed to be a timeless and elegant scent for women who appreciate quality and sophistication.
What does Beloved by Amouage smell like?
Beloved by Amouage is an oriental floral perfume with woody and spicy nuances. An oriental perfume is a type of fragrance that has warm and exotic notes such as amber, vanilla, incense, spices, and resins. The word oriental comes from the French word for eastern, referring to the regions where these ingredients originated.
The formula of Beloved by Amouage has the following notes:
- Top notes: lavender, jasmine, rose, clary sage, chamomile
- Middle notes: clove, cardamom, immortelle, labdanum
- Base notes: patchouli, cedarwood, sandalwood, musk
The perfume started with a fresh and aromatic blend of lavender, jasmine, rose, clary sage, and chamomile, creating a soothing and calming effect. The heart revealed a spicy and sweet mix of clove, cardamom, immortelle, and labdanum, adding warmth and richness to the scent. The base consisted of a woody and musky combination of patchouli, cedarwood, sandalwood, and musk, giving the perfume a long-lasting and sensual trail.
The Other Beloved Perfumes
Beloved by American Beauty
Beloved by American Beauty is a women’s perfume that was launched in 2008 by the American cosmetics brand American Beauty. The brand was created in 2004 by Estée Lauder Companies as an exclusive line for Kohl’s department stores. It aimed to offer affordable and high-quality products for the everyday American woman.
Beloved by American Beauty was described as a floral oriental perfume that captured the essence of love and romance. It was also said to be a versatile and wearable scent for any occasion.
The notes of Beloved by American Beauty were:
- Top notes: bitter orange, apricot, arum lily
- Middle notes: iris, African orange flower
- Base notes: amber, cotton, sandalwood
The perfume had a fruity and floral opening with notes of bitter orange, apricot, and arum lily. The heart featured a powdery and elegant duo of iris and African orange flower. The base was a cozy and soft blend of amber, cotton, and sandalwood.
Beloved by Avon
Beloved by Avon is a women’s perfume that was launched in 2019 by the American direct selling company Avon. The company was founded in 1886 by David H. McConnell as the California Perfume Company. It later changed its name to Avon in 1939, after the birthplace of its first sales representative, Mrs. P.F.E. Albee. Avon is known for its door-to-door sales model and its iconic slogan “Avon calling”.
Beloved by Avon was part of the Eve collection of perfumes that featured actress Eva Mendes as the face of the campaign. It was marketed as a floral fruity perfume that celebrated the joy of life and love.
The notes of Beloved by Avon were:
- Top notes: pink pepper, blackcurrant
- Middle notes: jasmine sambac, freesia
- Base notes: patchouli, vanilla
The perfume had a sparkling and juicy opening with notes of pink pepper and blackcurrant. The heart was a floral and feminine mix of jasmine sambac and freesia. The base was a sweet and warm fusion of patchouli and vanilla.
A Detailed Table Breakdown Related to Beloved Perfume
| Name | Brand | Year | Type | Notes |
| — | — | — | — | — |
| Beloved by Prince Matchabelli | Prince Matchabelli | 1950 | Green floral chypre | Orange oil, chamomile, jasmine, rose, sandalwood, civet |
| Beloved by Amouage | Amouage | 2012 | Oriental floral | Lavender, jasmine, rose, clary sage, chamomile, clove, cardamom, immortelle, labdanum, patchouli, cedarwood, sandalwood, musk |
| Beloved by American Beauty | American Beauty | 2008 | Floral oriental | Bitter orange, apricot, arum lily, iris, African orange flower, amber, cotton, sandalwood |
| Beloved by Avon | Avon | 2019 | Floral fruity | Pink pepper, blackcurrant, jasmine sambac, freesia, patchouli, vanilla |
FAQ About Beloved Perfume
Is Beloved by Prince Matchabelli still available?
No. Unfortunately, Beloved by Prince Matchabelli has been discontinued for many years. You might be able to find some vintage bottles on online auction sites or collectors’ forums, but they are likely to be very expensive and rare.
Is Beloved by Amouage worth the price?
That depends on your personal preference and budget. Beloved by Amouage is a high-end perfume that costs around $400 for a 100 ml bottle. It is made with quality ingredients and has a complex and sophisticated scent that lasts for hours on the skin. If you area fan of oriental floral perfumes and you want to treat yourself to a luxurious and unique scent, you might find Beloved by Amouage worth the price. However, if you are looking for a more affordable or accessible option, you might want to try some of the alternatives or dupes that we will mention later in this article.
What are some of the alternatives or dupes for Beloved by Prince Matchabelli?
Since Beloved by Prince Matchabelli is no longer in production, you might be wondering if there are any other perfumes that smell similar or have the same vibe. Here are some of the suggestions that we found online:
- Miss Dior by Christian Dior: This is a classic green floral chypre perfume that was launched in 1947, three years before Beloved by Prince Matchabelli. It has notes of bergamot, rose, jasmine, patchouli, oakmoss, and musk. It is a sophisticated and elegant scent that is suitable for formal occasions.
- Paloma Picasso by Paloma Picasso: This is a modern green floral chypre perfume that was launched in 1984, 34 years after Beloved by Prince Matchabelli. It has notes of coriander, angelica, carnation, jasmine, rose, patchouli, oakmoss, civet, and musk. It is a bold and spicy scent that is suitable for confident women.
- Knowing by Estée Lauder: This is a woody floral chypre perfume that was launched in 1988, 38 years after Beloved by Prince Matchabelli. It has notes of aldehydes, rose, jasmine, patchouli, oakmoss, amber, and musk. It is a warm and cozy scent that is suitable for autumn and winter seasons.
What are some of the alternatives or dupes for Beloved by Amouage?
Since Beloved by Amouage is a pricey perfume, you might be looking for some cheaper or more available options that smell similar or have the same vibe. Here are some of the suggestions that we found online:
- L’Interdit by Givenchy: This is an oriental floral perfume that was launched in 2018 as a modern reinterpretation of the original L’Interdit from 1957. It has notes of orange blossom, jasmine, tuberose, patchouli, vetiver, and vanilla. It is a sweet and creamy scent that is suitable for everyday wear.
- Mon Guerlain by Guerlain: This is an oriental floral perfume that was launched in 2017 as a tribute to the modern woman. It has notes of lavender, bergamot, jasmine sambac, iris, vanilla, sandalwood, and tonka bean. It is a soft and powdery scent that is suitable for romantic occasions.
- La Vie Est Belle by Lancôme: This is an oriental floral perfume that was launched in 2012 as a celebration of happiness and freedom. It has notes of blackcurrant, pear, iris, jasmine sambac, orange blossom, patchouli, praline, vanilla, and tonka bean. It is a gourmand and fruity scent that is suitable for cheerful women.
How to apply Beloved perfume?
The best way to apply any perfume is to spray it on your pulse points, such as your wrists, neck, behind your ears, and inside your elbows. These are the areas where your blood vessels are close to the skin surface and emit heat, which helps to diffuse the scent. You can also spray some perfume on your hair or clothes for extra longevity.
However, you should be careful not to overdo it with Beloved perfume, as it is a strong and potent scent that can be overwhelming if applied too much. A little goes a long way with this perfume. You should also avoid rubbing your wrists together after spraying the perfume, as this can break down the molecules and alter the fragrance.
How to store Beloved perfume?
The best way to store any perfume is to keep it in a cool and dark place away from direct sunlight and heat sources. You can also keep it in its original box or wrap it in aluminum foil to protect it from light exposure. You should also avoid exposing your perfume to extreme temperatures or humidity changes.
These measures will help to preserve the quality and longevity of your perfume and prevent it from going bad or losing its potency. You should also check the expiration date of your perfume and use it within its shelf life. Most perfumes last for about three to five years after opening.
How to layer Beloved perfume?
Layering perfume is a technique of combining two or more perfumes to create a unique and personalized scent. You can layer perfumes by spraying them on different parts of your body, or by mixing them in a spray bottle or a rollerball. You can also layer perfumes by using matching or complementary body products, such as lotion, shower gel, or body spray.
When layering Beloved perfume, you should consider the type and notes of the perfume that you want to pair it with. For example, if you want to enhance the floral aspect of Beloved perfume, you can layer it with another floral perfume or a floral body product. If you want to add some freshness or contrast to Beloved perfume, you can layer it with a citrusy or aquatic perfume or a citrusy or aquatic body product.
Some examples of perfumes that you can layer with Beloved perfume are:
- Beloved by Prince Matchabelli + Chanel No. 5 by Chanel: This is a classic and elegant combination that creates a sophisticated and refined scent. Chanel No. 5 is a floral aldehyde perfume that has notes of aldehydes, ylang-ylang, rose, jasmine, iris, sandalwood, and musk.
- Beloved by Amouage + Shalimar by Guerlain: This is a warm and exotic combination that creates a sensual and mysterious scent. Shalimar is an oriental perfume that has notes of bergamot, lemon, jasmine, rose, iris, vanilla, tonka bean, and opoponax.
- Beloved by American Beauty + Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana: This is a fresh and fruity combination that creates a cheerful and playful scent. Light Blue is a citrusy floral perfume that has notes of lemon, apple, jasmine, bamboo, white rose, cedarwood, amber, and musk.
- Beloved by Avon + Daisy by Marc Jacobs: This is a sweet and girly combination that creates a fun and flirty scent. Daisy is a floral fruity perfume that has notes of strawberry, violet leaf, grapefruit, jasmine, gardenia, vanilla, musk, and white woods.
How to make Beloved perfume last longer?
The longevity of any perfume depends on various factors such as the quality and concentration of the ingredients, the type and condition of your skin, the weather and environment, and your personal chemistry. However, there are some tips and tricks that you can try to make your Beloved perfume last longer on your skin:
- Moisturize your skin before applying the perfume. Dry skin tends to absorb the perfume faster than hydrated skin. You can use an unscented lotion or oil to moisturize your skin and create a smooth base for the perfume.
- Apply the perfume right after showering or bathing. Your pores are open and your skin is warm after showering or bathing, which helps to lock in the scent. You can also dab some petroleum jelly or vaseline on your pulse points before spraying the perfume to make it stick better.
- Reapply the perfume throughout the day. You can carry a travel size bottle or a rollerball of your Beloved perfume in your purse or pocket and reapply it whenever you feel like it needs a boost. You can also use a matching body spray or mist to refresh your scent.
How to choose the right Beloved perfume for you?
The best way to choose the right Beloved perfume for you is to test it on your skin and see how it smells on you. Perfumes can smell different on different people due to their personal chemistry and skin type. You should also consider your preferences and personality when choosing a perfume.
Here are some questions that you can ask yourself when choosing a Beloved perfume:
- Do you like green floral chypre perfumes? If yes, then you might like Beloved by Prince Matchabelli. If no, then you might want to skip this one.
- Do you like oriental floral perfumes? If yes, then you might like Beloved by Amouage. If no, then you might want to skip this one.
- Do you like floral oriental perfumes? If yes, then you might like Beloved by American Beauty. If no, then you might want to skip this one.
- Do you like floral fruity perfumes? If yes, then you might like Beloved by Avon. If no, then you might want to skip this one.
- Do you prefer classic or modern perfumes? If you prefer classic perfumes, then you might like Beloved by Prince Matchabelli or Beloved by Amouage. If youprefer modern perfumes, then you might like Beloved by American Beauty or Beloved by Avon.
- Do you want a perfume that is versatile or occasion-specific? If you want a versatile perfume, then you might like Beloved by American Beauty or Beloved by Avon. If you want an occasion-specific perfume, then you might like Beloved by Prince Matchabelli or Beloved by Amouage.
- Do you want a perfume that is subtle or strong? If you want a subtle perfume, then you might like Beloved by American Beauty or Beloved by Avon. If you want a strong perfume, then you might like Beloved by Prince Matchabelli or Beloved by Amouage.
Of course, these are just some general guidelines and suggestions. The final decision is up to you and your personal taste. The best way to find out if a Beloved perfume is right for you is to try it yourself and see how it makes you feel.
We hope that this article has given you some useful and interesting information about Beloved perfume. Whether you are looking for the original Beloved by Prince Matchabelli, the modern Beloved by Amouage, or the other Beloved perfumes by American Beauty and Avon, we hope that you have found something that suits your needs and preferences.
If you enjoyed this article, please check out our other articles on perfumes and fragrances. We have more guides, reviews, tips, and tricks for you to discover and enjoy. Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day!