Hello, Good News! Welcome to another article where we share with you some of the best recipes from around the world. Today, we are going to show you how to make michelada chicken, a spicy and savory Mexican dish that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you are looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal, a fun and festive party dish, or a delicious way to use up your leftover beer, michelada chicken is the answer. Read on to find out more about this amazing recipe and how you can make it at home.
Michelada chicken is inspired by the famous Mexican beer cocktail, the michelada. A michelada is a refreshing drink made with beer, lime juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and sometimes tomato juice or clamato. It is often served in a glass rimmed with salt and chili powder, and garnished with a lime wedge. The michelada is said to have originated in Mexico in the 1940s or 1950s, and has since become popular across Latin America and the United States. The name michelada comes from the slang term “mi chela helada”, which means “my cold beer”.
What You Need to Make Michelada Chicken
To make michelada chicken, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 can of michelada mix, or 12 oz of light beer mixed with 12 oz of tomato juice or clamato
- 1/4 cup of lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons of hot sauce, or more to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Oil, for cooking
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
To make michelada chicken, you will need the following equipment:
- A large ziplock bag or a shallow baking dish
- A grill or a skillet
- A meat thermometer
- A cutting board and a knife
- A small bowl and a whisk
- A platter and a foil
How to Make Michelada Chicken
Step 1: Marinate the Chicken
The first step to make michelada chicken is to marinate the chicken. This will help the chicken absorb the flavors of the michelada mix and make it more tender and juicy. To do this, follow these steps:
- Cut the chicken breasts into thin slices or bite-sized pieces.
- Place the chicken in a large ziplock bag or a shallow baking dish.
- Pour the michelada mix over the chicken and make sure it is well coated.
- Squeeze the lime juice over the chicken and add some salt and pepper.
- Seal the bag or cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
Step 2: Cook the Chicken
The next step to make michelada chicken is to cook the chicken. You can either grill the chicken or cook it in a skillet on the stove. Either way, you want to make sure the chicken is cooked through and has some nice char marks on both sides. To do this, follow these steps:
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat or heat some oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and shake off any excess liquid. Reserve some of the marinade for later.
- Cook the chicken for about 15 minutes, turning once, until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). You can use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
Step 3: Make the Sauce
The final step to make michelada chicken is to make the sauce. The sauce is made with some of the reserved marinade, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and some water. It is a simple but flavorful sauce that adds some extra kick and moisture to the chicken. To do this, follow these steps:
- In a small bowl, whisk together some of the reserved marinade, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and water. Adjust the amount of hot sauce according to your preference.
- Bring the sauce to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Drizzle the sauce over the chicken and garnish with some chopped cilantro.
How to Serve Michelada Chicken
Michelada chicken is a versatile dish that can be served in many ways. Here are some of the most popular ways to serve michelada chicken:
- As a main course, with some rice, beans, salad, or corn on the cob on the side.
- As a taco filling, with some tortillas, cheese, lettuce, tomato, sour cream, and salsa.
- As a salad topping, with some mixed greens, avocado, corn, black beans, cheese, and ranch dressing.
- As a sandwich filling, with some bread, mayo, lettuce, tomato, and cheese.
- As a nacho topping, with some tortilla chips, cheese, beans, jalapeños, sour cream, and salsa.
Michelada Chicken Nutrition Facts
Michelada chicken is a high-protein and low-carb dish that can fit into many diets. However, it also contains some sodium and alcohol from the michelada mix. Here is a table that shows the approximate nutrition facts for one serving of michelada chicken (about 4 oz of chicken and 1/4 cup of sauce), without any sides or toppings:
|Nutrient||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Saturated Fat||1 g||5%|
|*Based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.|
Frequently Asked Questions About Michelada Chicken
What kind of beer should I use for michelada chicken?
The best kind of beer to use for michelada chicken is a light and citrusy lager or ale. Some examples are Corona, Modelo, Pacifico, Dos Equis, or Tecate. You can also use any other beer you like, but avoid dark or bitter beers that may overpower the other flavors.
Can I make michelada chicken without alcohol?
If you want to make michelada chicken without alcohol, you can substitute the beer with some chicken broth or water. You can also use non-alcoholic beer or sparkling water for some fizz. The flavor may be slightly different, but still delicious.
How long can I store michelada chicken?
You can store michelada chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months. To reheat it, you can microwave it or bake it in the oven until hot and bubbly.
Can I make michelada chicken in a slow cooker or an instant pot?
You can make michelada chicken in a slow cooker or an instant pot for an easy and hands-off method. To do this, follow these steps:
- Add the chicken and all the ingredients except the cilantro to the slow cooker or the instant pot.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours in the slow cooker, or on manual for 15 minutes in the instant pot.
- Naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes in the instant pot.
- Shred the chicken with twoforks and transfer to a platter. Drizzle some of the sauce over the chicken and garnish with cilantro.
What can I serve with michelada chicken?
Michelada chicken goes well with many side dishes, such as rice, beans, salad, corn on the cob, coleslaw, potato salad, or bread. You can also serve it with some extra michelada mix or beer to drink, and some lime wedges to squeeze over the chicken.
What are some variations of michelada chicken?
You can customize michelada chicken to suit your taste and preferences. Here are some ideas for variations:
- Use different cuts of chicken, such as thighs, drumsticks, or wings.
- Add some spices to the marinade or the sauce, such as cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, or oregano.
- Add some vegetables to the chicken, such as onions, peppers, tomatoes, or mushrooms.
- Use different types of hot sauce, such as Tabasco, Sriracha, or Cholula.
- Use different types of citrus juice, such as lemon, orange, or grapefruit.
Is michelada chicken spicy?
Michelada chicken can be spicy or mild depending on how much hot sauce you use. You can adjust the amount of hot sauce according to your tolerance and preference. You can also use mild or medium hot sauce instead of hot sauce. If you like it extra spicy, you can add some chopped jalapeños or serrano peppers to the chicken or the sauce.
Is michelada chicken gluten-free?
Michelada chicken can be gluten-free if you use gluten-free beer and Worcestershire sauce. You can also use tamari sauce instead of Worcestershire sauce. Make sure to check the labels of the ingredients you use for any hidden gluten.
Is michelada chicken keto-friendly?
Michelada chicken can be keto-friendly if you use low-carb beer and tomato juice or clamato. You can also omit the sugar from the sauce or use a keto-friendly sweetener instead. Make sure to check the nutrition facts of the ingredients you use for any hidden carbs.
Is michelada chicken healthy?
Michelada chicken is a relatively healthy dish that is high in protein and low in carbs. However, it also contains some sodium and alcohol from the michelada mix. If you are watching your sodium or alcohol intake, you may want to limit your portion size or use low-sodium or non-alcoholic ingredients. You can also balance your meal with some fresh vegetables and fruits.
We hope you enjoyed this article on how to make michelada chicken. Michelada chicken is a spicy and savory Mexican dish that is inspired by the famous beer cocktail, the michelada. It is easy to make and can be served in many ways. It is also a great way to use up your leftover beer or to spice up your regular chicken dinner. Try it out and let us know what you think!
If you liked this article, please check out our other articles on delicious recipes from around the world. We have articles on how to make paella, sushi, pizza, curry, and more. You can also subscribe to our newsletter to get updates on new articles and exclusive offers. Thank you for reading and happy cooking!